My mother is a wonderful cook, so for Christmas I bought her a new cookbook. I decided to give her Giada’s Feel Good Food: My Healthy Recipes and Secrets by Giada De Laurentiis. The book felt good in my hands and the recipes made my mouth water (don’t shop for cookbooks while you’re hungry) so it wasn’t hard to walk on up to the register and purchase it.
So today brunch consisted of mimosas and Egg, Kale, and Tomato Breakfast wraps with Hummus. I could go on and on, but I won’t. I’ll just say this: D-e-l-i-s-h
- 5 large kale leaves, tough stems removed
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tsp chopped thyme
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 4 (10-inch) whole-wheat tortillas
- 1/4 cup store-bought hummus
- 4 large eggs, poached or scrambled
1. Coarsely chop the kale. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the tomatoes, shallot, garlic, thyme, and red pepper flakes. Saute until the tomatoes and shallot soften, about 4 min. Add the kale, sprinkle with the salt and pepper, and cook, stirring, until it wilts but is still bright green, about 2 min. Stir in the basil. Remove mixture from heat; reserve.
2. Toast tortillas under broiler until they begin to blacken in spots, about 15 sec per side. Spread each tortilla with 1 tbsp hummus. Divide the kale mixture and prepared eggs among the tortillas; fold into wraps and serve.
*I recommend adding hot sauce if you’re a fan of spice — my mum also added pine nuts to the veggies.
- Recipes reprinted from Giada’s Feel Good Food: My Healthy Recipes and Secrets. Copyright © 2013 by GDL Foods Inc.
- GIADA DE LAURENTIIS is the Emmy award-winning star of Food Network’s Everyday Italian, Giada at Home, and Giada in Paradise; a judge on Food Network Star; a contributing correspondent for NBC’s Today show; and the author of six New York Times bestselling books. She attended the Cordon Bleu cooking school in Paris and worked at Wolfgang Puck’s Spago restaurant before starting her own catering company, GDL Foods. Born in Rome, she grew up in Los Angeles, where she now lives with her husband, Todd, and their daughter, Jade.
All my love,