Hi loves, I hope you’ve been having a great weekend. There was a fair amount of Jameson, beer, late nights, and fat kid food involved in mine so today I’m taking it down a notch. I love Sundays because nobody gets judged if you don’t have pants on & it’s a great day to catch up on “me time”. My team doesn’t play today & I did all of my boring adult to do’s yesterday so I plan on spending the rest of my weekend snuggled up to the documentary “Bully”. I’m going to sit here in my underwear & socks that don’t match & eat snacks because tomorrow it is back to reality & I’m trying my best to be in denial about it.
Okay so lets discuss snacks. Pomegranates. Poms are my absolute obsession & they are in season so I’m all over it. The downside: they can be a pain in the ass sometimes. If you don’t already know the trick to peeling them then I guess today is just your lucky day. I learned this trick from my girl Martha Stewart.
- Using a sharp knife, remove the top and bottom of the pomegranate. Don’t slice your finger off.
- Make 4 incisions creating 4 equal sections. Only cut through the skin, stopping when you hit the pit/membrane (white part).
- Fill a large bowl with cold water. Place the pomegranate in the water & begin to break the pomegranate into 4 sections along the incisions you made. Sounds harder than it is.
- Now, using your fingers, pull the seeds away from the skin and membrane. The seeds will sink to the bottom of the bowl and the skin/pit will float to the top. To prevent staining your surface, it is best to do this while the pomegranate is submerged under water.
- Before straining, skim the top of the water and remove any excess skin and pulp.
- Devour like the pom-lover that you are. Don’t share with anybody.
My beverage, the detox elixir, is only 17 calories & it’s packed with a ton of antioxidants. The main ingredient, another one of my obsessions, is apple cider vinegar. It’s known to aid in weight loss so that’s neat but I just genuinely enjoy the drink because it’s a nice little pick me up. I try to drink one to two everyday.
Combine 2 tbsp of fresh OJ, 1 Tbsp ACV, 1/8 Tsp powdered ginger & a pinch each of turmeric & cayenne pepper. Serve cold.
Happy snacking & enjoy your day of rest before you get back to the weekly grind.